Thursday, January 29, 2009

Walk like an Egyptian

My work in Egypt is done, so I've left Abydos. But I'm not leaving yet. I still have 3 days to see the sights: Thursday & Friday in Luxor and Saturday in Cairo, before my return home to NYC on Sunday if I make it home alive. It really seems as if there is no law enforcement here with regards to traffic regulation. You can drive at night with no headlights, pedestrians routinely walk in the street instead of the sidewalk, EVERYONE honks their horns ALL THE TIME, and it's not completely uncommon to see a car going the wrong way down a one way street.

I shot this short little video while standing on the corner of a busy intersection in Cairo on my first day in Egypt. I was exploring the city by foot, and when I got to this highway, that was the boundary of my exploration since I was scared to cross the street. If you watch, you'll see a couple of Egyptian pedestrians walking through the heavy traffic with seemingly little regard for their safety. Now, after being here for a week and a half and having seen much worse in that time, this seems pretty tame.



I've since found much better examples of how crazy the traffic is, and I'll post a couple of those videos here, but I realize that none of these videos do any justice to the experience of actually trying to cross these streets in real life.





While in Luxor & Cairo, I have a lot on my agenda: the temples and museums of East Luxor, the tombs of West Luxor, and the Pyramids of Giza in Cairo. I will no longer have Internet access, so updates on the final part of my trip will be postponed until either Monday or Tuesday next week after I return home.

2 comments:

Ron Mexico said...

That's wild...I love those videos

Allan said...

wow.