Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Mullholand Drive "Winkies Scene" Explained

Well sort of...

"Can you say something about... that horrible blackened derelict behind Winkies?"

DAVID LYNCH: OK, here's the deal. Denny's restaurant on Sunset used to be a place called The Copper Penny. It was right at Gower and Sunset. I think that's where Frank Capra worked, and in the old days that was the corner where all the movie extras would line up in the morning for work. And the Denny's there was a pretty strange Denny's. I'm not positive, but I think there was a satanic booth in the parking lot there for a while.

"What's that?"

DAVID LYNCH: I don't know! But I used to go there and have breakfast - a Grand Slam. Anyway, I was in a booth and I think I was alone and behind me there were three people, and they were talking about God. It sounded like quite a pleasant Sunday morning conversation. And I got up to pay the check and I glanced over at the people in the booth and there was the Head of the Satantic Church in the booth. They were talking quite friendly and nice. I thought it was like a church group! And so it was kind of strange. Anyway, there were some kind of heavy feelings at that Denny's and that fed into this thing in Mullholland Drive - this bum.

- from Lynch on Lynch edited by Chris Rodley.

5 comments:

Allan said...

Wow. All I remember was clapping during this scene - clapping out loud at the Cobble Hill Cinemas.

To me, this means Lynch has so much clout he can do pretty much anything he likes. I'm sure there are still struggles, but you don't see this enough.

cac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cac said...

Spoiler Alert.

Allan said...

BWAAHAHAHAH!!!! That spoiler alert is too much. But I thought that was from "Resurrecting the Champ"? I think you need to make a separate post related to that...

PISTON HONDA said...

That's from "Caveman's Valentine".