Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"A-Rab Money" - Racist or Not?



My brother thinks Busta Rhymes' new song "We Get A-Rab Money" is the most unapologetically stereotypical and borderline racist song he's heard in years. I kind of think in a weird way it's a compliment. Who these days gets more money than Arabs? (correction - who these days is gettin any money except Arabs).

My brother points to the chorus as the most egregious part of the song:

[Chorus: Ron Browz (an American who doesn't speak a word of Arabic)]
Shalai Lai Lai Halilili Hai Lo!
Hi Li Ba Lai Hey Hi Li Bai Lo!
We gettin' Arab money!
We gettin' Arab money!
Ha La Shiki Hai Lili Ba La!
Milli Ai Lai Shi Lili Ba La!
We gettin' Arab money!
We gettin' Arab money!

The dance to the song is amazing. It's 50% Bhangra, 50% hip hop and 100% racially insensitive. At 2:15 into the video the guy takes the dance to a new level by adding an Osama Bin Laden "gun shot to the sky" effect. Brilliant.

Thoughts?

5 comments:

Michael Konrad said...

The song is kind of disappointing, actually. Not very good.

When I read "Busta Rhymes" and "A-Rab Money," I imagined something with a faster beat and slicker production.

That said, I definitely think it's racist, but in the backhanded compliment sort of way. I mean, there is no ill intention, but it draws on all sorts of stereotypes and creates insensitive characitures that are likely to offend.

Allan said...

There definitely isn't any intent to be racist here, and undoubtedly it's pretty easy to see why a lot people in the West would think "A-Rabs" have a lot of money (see Saudi royals, Dubai financiers, day of shopping in Georgetown, etc., etc.) I find it not all too different from characterizing a Texas oilman as driving a massive , convertible sedan with longhorns in the front, oversize cowboy hat, tacky suit, etc. However, I don't think the caricature was ever aimed at an entire cultural group.

My verdict = the song is highly misguided and provides the possibility of insulting and humiliating an entire culture.

PISTON HONDA said...

Yeah but how bout that dance move - next level or what?

Ron Mexico said...

I enjoy it...I think its fine, and I like the dance.

DisChris said...

Eastwood should have directed it to make sure the racism was crystal clear