Monday, March 2, 2009

WHS Philippines Special

(play this video - "Mr. Suave" by Parokya Ni Edgar - to serve as your soundtrack as you read this post)


The past few weeks have reminded me of the Philippines. "Cavite" was on the Sundance Channel last night. It's a film definitely worth watching, especially if you're an adventurous traveler that's always researching the next place to visit. The Philippines has tourist destinations such as Cebu and Boracay that are popular with the European and American sets but "Cavite" reminds you that most of the country still retains unspoiled elements of holy-fuck scary. Hopefully you've followed my instructions at the top of this post and are already listening to a song featured in the film. Hoy! Hoy! Hoy! Hoy! Hoy! Hoy!

"Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations" is the only show on television that I actively follow. It took No Reservations a little while to get to the Philippines but an episode dedicated to the country finally aired a few weeks ago. Most of the food featured isn't anything I'm familiar with and most certainly wouldn't eat. Then again, I limited myself to the more western-tasting Filipino dishes growing up (adobo, empanadas, pancit, lechon, chicharrones, lumpia, relleno) so I'm not sure how much another Filipino with a more advanced palate would agree with me on the assessment of the dishes featured on Bourdain's show.

Finally, I was told that the Filipino fast-food chain, Jollibee just opened in Woodside, Queens. I'm going to wait for the hype (resulting in multi-hour waits) to die down to trek out on the 7 train to try it. Read about the opening in this Gothamist article.

Cavite Trailer


Clip from Anthony Bourdain: No Reservation's Philippines Episode

2 comments:

PISTON HONDA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PISTON HONDA said...

I pray no one gets shanked in that line at Jollibee's.