Friday, September 12, 2008

The Days After 9/11


I'm so glad Adam got great photos of the Towers of Light. The City has done such a good job using lamps and light to remind us all of a pretty serious event in the City's history. All politics aside, it's something all New Yorkers can look up to a few nights a year and just remember how we were all affected and how we still react to the world around us.

I went to Shea Stadium on September 21, 2001. It was the first mass gathering in New York City after the attacks on September 11. A lot of people wondered where I was that night because I was supposed to have celebrated my birthday then. It hurt at the time to make it look like I was simply flaking out, but in all reality I knew where I wanted to be; with 41,000 other New Yorkers looking for some strange sense of grounding (capacity at Shea is roughly 55,000). This was one of the more important things I've ever done in my life here in New York, and it should really add perspective as to why I act like a total loser when I go to Shea to this day.

And Liza Minnelli is seriously on fire. Subsequent posting on Minnelli to follow, I'm sure.

Here's a clip highlighting what happened on September 21, 2001:

2 comments:

Ron Mexico said...

I bet that was a pretty powerful moment in your life. Wish I could have been there.

Michael Konrad said...

that's awesome.